Re: [Nolug] "dev/fd0 is not a valid block device"

From: John D. Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:18:18 -0600

On 2004-03-23 Joey Kelly wrote:

>On Tuesday 23 March 2004 09:04, John D. Tiedeman spake:
>

>> I was getting the message above before I upgraded from RH9 to Fedora
>>1, and I'm still getting it. I have checked /etc/fstab and it's the same
>>as in my other computer. I put in a spare floppy drive with no change in
>>results. Since I have never succeeded in linking my computers via the
>>D-Link DI604 which connects both of them to my ethernet bridge for DSL,
>>that limits transfer of files to uploading to offline storage and then
>>downloading on the other computer, which obviously is a pain!
>>

>No doubt.
>
>I'm not sure what setup you've got over there, but as I understand it, you are
>simply wanting to transfer files from one PC on your LAN to another, right?
>
>You can use scp (part of the ssh suite), or perhaps pscp.exe (see PuTTY's
>webpage) if one of them is a windows box. Or you could set up an ftp server
>locally. Or samba. Or you can use netcat.
>
>Hmm... by "never succeeded in linking my computers" do you mean they can't
>talk to one another?
>
>Hopefully you'll figure out your floppy problem, though...

Both boxes have Athlon 1600+ CPUs. I can't remember disk sizes for more
than a year, but they're between 20G and 80G. The router is D-Link
DI604, connecting the computers to a Speedstream 5360 for DSL. They can
ping each other, so I'm sure the failure to communicate is entirely due
to my ignorance about networking software. I was never able to make it
work with Windows, either. I also have an old Ambra 486 mini-laptop that
is still using Windows 6.0 which I might want to connect after I get the
two big ones talking, but that's a low priority.