Re: [Nolug] "dev/fd0 is not a valid block device"

From: John D. Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:47:00 -0600

Joey Kelly wrote:

>On Tuesday 23 March 2004 09:04, John D. Tiedeman spake:
>

>> I was getting the message above before I upgraded from RH9 to Fedora
>>1, and I'm still getting it. I have checked /etc/fstab and it's the same
>>as in my other computer. I put in a spare floppy drive with no change in
>>results. Since I have never succeeded in linking my computers via the
>>D-Link DI604 which connects both of them to my ethernet bridge for DSL,
>>that limits transfer of files to uploading to offline storage and then
>>downloading on the other computer, which obviously is a pain!
>>

>I'm not sure what setup you've got over there, but as I understand it, you are
>simply wanting to transfer files from one PC on your LAN to another, right?
>
>You can use scp (part of the ssh suite), or perhaps pscp.exe (see PuTTY's
>webpage) if one of them is a windows box. Or you could set up an ftp server
>locally. Or samba. Or you can use netcat.
>
>Hmm... by "never succeeded in linking my computers" do you mean they can't
>talk to one another?

The suggestion of using scp (of which I hadn't heard before) sounds good
since both Fedora machines already have it. How do I find the name I
might have assigned to one computer, and assign one to the other? I
think I did it at setup before, but forgot the name since I've never
needed it. I assigned numbers to both for router purposes.