Re: [Nolug] VoIP routers for $70 and a little work

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:10:48 -0500

On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 13:09 -0500, Petri Laihonen wrote:
> >> The world is changing!
> >> We do not call to places anymore. Instead we call to people.
> >
> > Not yet. You call most phone numbers, and you get a place,
> > not a person.
>
> Here in US, things run behind from the rest of the world. Especially in
> mobile phone systems and services. Even in many countries considered as
> "third world" mobile networks are more extensive than land lines.

Because AT&T didn't have the graft+incompetence of the 3rd
world, nor the stifling bureaucracy of Europe (or the graft+
incompetence AND stifling bureaucracy of the communist countries),
the US had, and still does have, great wire-line service.

Why spend extra money on a service that is plagued by static
and dead zones, when I have an always-on *perfectly* functioning,
static-free wire-line phone 9" from me?

> Currently my company is providing mobile services and testing new services
> with operators in several latin and south american countries and some are
> really far ahead from what we can do here in US. This is a good hub for
> the operations though.

telephone: from the Ancient Greek roots tele ('far off') +
phonema ('utterance, sound produced').

That's what wire-line telephones do, much better than cell
phones. Why should I get a cell phone when a wire-line
phone works so well?

Now, what I'd *really* be lost without is my alphanumberic
pager with email address....

--
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>