Re: [Nolug] MySQL Help?

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 09:16:21 -0500

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 00:20 -0400, Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > WHERE zip in (SELECT zip from zipDistances...) ?
> >
> > I should hope so! That's what INNER JOIN is for.
>
> No. Not even that smart. The SELECT statement was passed through a
> pre-processor which expanded the pseudo-function ZIP_PROXIMITY from
> this:
>
> SELECT * from tblData WHERE ZIP_PROXIMITY(70118,25);
>
> To this:
>
> SELECT * from tblData WHERE zip in (70118,...[all zips within 25
> miles]);
>
> I created the zipDistances table and pre-populated it so that we could
> change it to:
>
> SELECT * from tblData,zipDistances WHERE zip=zip_distant AND
> origin = 70118 AND distance = 25;

Clever.

> >> And, it shouldn't lock the table, right?
> >
> > Well, I've heard that table locking has traditionally
> > been MySQL's favorite kind of locking, from it's roots
> > where it was weighted towards read-heavy environments.
>
> Ugh.
>
> If this is the case, then that is likely what I'm seeing.

Maybe this will give you the juice to convince Those In
Charge to let you switch to PostgreSQL.

This google search gives
http://www.google.com/search?q=convert++mysql+postgresql&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Note that MySQL is usuall/used-to-be/sometimes faster on
a new install, and so PostgreSQL usually requires buffer
tuning in config files. The online docs are pretty
helpful, as is the pgsql-general list and it's archives.
http://www.postgresql.org/lists.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/

--
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>