Re: ADHD was Re: [Nolug] Cool wired house in Old Metairie

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:26:06 -0500

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 22:44 -0400, CMJandHOJ@cs.com wrote:
> In a message dated 7/19/2004 8:57:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
> dpuryear@usa.net writes:

[snip]
> > I do believe that the vast amount of information that is available
> > today and the ways we are bombarded with it on a daily basis have
> > shortened the attention span of everyone. We have TV's in every
> > room of the house, the car, phone's in every room(even the
> > bathroom), no one thinks to leave home without their cell phone
> > anymore, PDA's that are always connected, email on your phone, PDA,
> > watch, everybody wants you to install a little box on your desktop
> > that will give you the weather, stock quotes, breaking news, on the
> > 24 hour news channel there are tickers on the bottom of the screen,
> > the top of the screen, text boxes next to the talking head, ITS TOO
> > MUCH INFORMATION!!! You can't focus on one thing for more that a
> > few seconds without something else distracting you.

The task is to learn to say "no".

Turn off your cell phone (or, at least, be a Caller-ID Nazi), sell
your PDA, and say no to the people (including yourself) who want
news tickers on their PCs.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B
LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
YODA: No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?
YODA: You will know. When your code you try to read six months
from now.