[Nolug] cox new orleans outage? - Cause and Explanation

From: Charles Jouglard <pcguy1_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:52:01 -0500

Anyone else seeing this?

I can't connect outbound to port 80 anywhere. I can connect to port
443, however and (so far) any other port. I checked my Mom's, who is a
cox customer in metairie, and she appears to be able to surf web sites
normally.

Also I cannot call cox's local front-end number (304-8444) for help. It
just rings or gives a fast busy -- tried from both a cell phone and land
line.
===
Hello Fellow NOLUGers....

The delay in my response is because I was on a mini vacation. This issue was limited to the area
serviced by the Mid City Hub, which is most of the New Orleans area excluding, New Orleans East and
Algiers.

The cause was a Access Control List change on the new CMTS/UBR router in Mid City. The router was
recently upgraded to the latest and greatest carrier class device. One of the requirements to
enforce the Acceptable Use Policy is to block "HTTP" server type traffic "TO" residential modems.
Apparently one of our engineers applied the ACL incorrectly. The changes to correct this issue were
made fairly quickly and services were restored.

These things happen. Such is the challenge of making changes to production equipment. Of course we
normally don't make such changes unless it is absolutely necessary.

Also, I've heard of several customer calling customer service and obtaining credits for the
inconvenience and downtime.... ;-)

Cheers,
Charles Jouglard
CHSI System Engineer
Cox Louisiana, LLC
504-417-3627

Disclaimer: This email and information and any associated pages, links, and/or files are not
endorsed by Cox Communications, Inc., Cox Louisiana, LLC, Cox.Net or anyone else other than myself.
If anyone believes, thinks or infers otherwise, they are sadly mistaken, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah,
Blah. Thank you.