Re: [Nolug] cox new orleans outage? - Cause and Explanation

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 11:07:35 -0500

Charles Jouglard wrote:

> Hello Fellow NOLUGers....
>
> The delay in my response is because I was on a mini vacation. This issue was limited to the area
> serviced by the Mid City Hub, which is most of the New Orleans area excluding, New Orleans East and
> Algiers.
>
> The cause was a Access Control List change on the new CMTS/UBR router in Mid City. The router was
> recently upgraded to the latest and greatest carrier class device. One of the requirements to
> enforce the Acceptable Use Policy is to block "HTTP" server type traffic "TO" residential modems.
> Apparently one of our engineers applied the ACL incorrectly. The changes to correct this issue were
> made fairly quickly and services were restored.

Thanks for the info charles (I sent you an off-list reply as well). I
tried to contact Cox tech support with details but I figured correctly
that I wouldn't get beyond "what are you modem lights doing?". So I
posted here figuring you might reply after the weekend.

Also caught a thread on broadbandreports.com that confirmed the behavior
I had seen.

--
Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"