[Nolug] IMPORTANT: State radio and TV board wants to license computer techs

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:28:06 -0500

Y'all, sorry for the cross-posting, but this is rather important.

The Louisiana Radio and Television Technicians Board is sending out letters
to computer techs demanding a yearly licensing fee, on the premise that since
a computer can do home entertainment, it must be either a TV or a radio and
should be regulated as such.

Times Picayune article (bogus login required):
http://www.nola.com/business/t-p/index.ssf?/base/money-0/1091633106206812.xml

The article quotes a tech saying that if the state were to go with a real
computer cunsultant license, he would be more willing to abide by that.

I think licensing techs of any kind is a charade, as we all know how useless A
+ and MCSE testing is to determine whether a tech knows anything at all.
Fools pay chump schools who in turn teach to the applicable tests, and the
then-certified techs don't even know which end of a mouse to hold, etc. The
state's noble goal (that of protecting consumers) has degenerated into a
revenue stream only.

Slashdot story:
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/05/2235213&tid=103&tid=126&tid=17

Text of an email alert put out by the Louisiana Technology Council: