Re: [Nolug] Professional Question

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:27:16 -0500

Chris Reames wrote:
> Yes, to a degree, I worked for a company previously owned by some of the
> same people.
> This company no-longer exists, yet these people claim that their current
> company has sole ownership of my knowledge.
> My understanding of the way this business works is based on general
> information and common sense.

Whether or not they own your ideas, knowledge or IP depends... Read on.

> Ok, lets try this...Somebody at work gives you a blank piece of paper and
> asks 'What can you do with this?'.
> You take the paper and fold it into a hat. You've never folded a paper hat
> and they've never had a paper hat.
> ( big point, they don't pay you to fold paper into hats {ie programming} )
> Who owns the idea of folding the paper hat? Who owns the hat if they say
> its stupid?

Here's the deal... If they ask you to make something on their time,
like the paper hat, and you use their equipment and supplies, its their
IP. Any programs, source code, documentation, projects, ideas, etc.
are their's if you were on the clock and doing it for them with their
equipment. Additionally, if you came up with a really slick method of
making that hat, that is also their's. And it also doesn't matter if
that's their main product or not or if they like it - it was done on
their time with their equipment and supplies. If they didn't like it,
however, and didn't want it, you might have an out and be able to keep
your work...

I almost ran into this same problem when I worked for a company that did
programming and web development. The solution (given to me by them) was
to develop only on your own equipment and if you do ANY work during
their time, not to store that work on their systems. However, don't
take that as gospel. Like everyone else said, your best bet is to see a
lawyer.