[Nolug] Teaching a Computer Elective

From: Christopher M. Jones <cjones_at_partialflow.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 15:19:07 -0500

Hello, NOLUGgers,

I've been on the list for a while, even if I haven't been active for the
last two years or so. A while back I mentioned that I was looking for
some equipment for my school, and several of you were very interested to
help out. I am teaching at Desire Street Academy, a school for at-risk
African American boys from the Desire/Florida community.

This year I was asked to teach a computer elective. What I've decided to
do is twofold: for the first part I want to teach web design. For the
second part I want to have them build a machine that they can keep.
Here's the help I need:

1. Parts donations, preferably decent, especially
   recent enough mobos.
2. Advice: I'm guessing I'll have to start from
   scratch with the OS. What are my options? My
   preference would be to have them install Linux.
   But if I decided to go easy on them, does anyone
   have suggestions for how I would get enough copies
   of some fairly recent Windows?
3. Someone to give me advice on course content. Have
   a look at my syllabus, maybe.
4. Some good suggestions for field trips for this
   class.
5. Volunteers to come talk to the class about business
   opportunities in computing, esp. programming and
   networking.
6. Any bright ideas for stuff I never thought of.