Re: [Nolug] a place for politics

From: Brad Bendily <brad_at_selu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:52:22 -0500 (CDT)

> Aha.....
> So the first one I sort of guessed, all the others are complete strangers.
> I did not know thre were that many candidates for only two parties.

Actually there are a lot more candidates than joey had on his page:
http://www.vote-smart.org/election_president_party.php?party_name=All&PHPSESSID=797a0f3114695b351a760a51afc66dbb

Any one can run for president, pretty much
(I know you have to be over 35, can't remember the
rest of the criteria), if you meet the criteria
and pay the fee then you can run for Pres.

The only thing is unless you're one of the well known guys
you're probably not going to get campaign "contributions
and fund raisers" which is the only money you can
use to fund your campaign. That and whatever personal
money you have. That's why Ross Perot got his name out
there and almost had a chance. He got 6% of the vote I think.
So he was probably the person who came the closest to being
president just under the leading republican and democrat.

BB