Re: [Nolug] a place for politics

From: -k. <telirum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:24:22 -0700 (PDT)

> Any one can run for president, pretty much
> (I know you have to be over 35, can't remember the
> rest of the criteria), if you meet the criteria
> and pay the fee then you can run for Pres.

For clarification's sake ( i believe this to be in no
way partisan)...

"Section One of Article II of the U.S. Constitution
establishes the requirements one must meet in order to
become President. The president must be a natural-born
citizen of the United States (or a citizen of the
United States at the time the U.S. Constitution was
adopted), be at least 35 years of age, and have been a
resident of the United States for 14 years."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_president

Also you have to qualify in each state to be on the
ballot. And i believe this qualification varies
greatly from state. There have been a couple stories
in recent months about Nader qualifying (or not as the
case may be) here and there.

> The only thing is unless you're one of the well
> known guys you're probably not going to get
campaign
> "contributions and fund raisers" which is the only
> money you can use to fund your campaign. That and
> whatever personal money you have. That's why Ross
> Perot got his name out there and almost had a
chance. > He got 6% of the vote I think. So he was
probably the > person who came the closest to being
president just > under the leading republican and
democrat.

Actually Perot got 19% of the vote and probably would
have done slightly better if hadn't dropped out of the
race only to rejoin shortly afterwards. However he won
none of the all important electoral votes(insert
praise or hatred for our single member district,
winner take all electoral system here). Point is
anyone can run but modern campaign finance laws and
rules for qualification on top of the nature of the
Electoral College make it realistically impossible for
a third party candidate to win. Third party candidates
can only hope to make either the Democrats or
Republicans more receptive to their issues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._presidential_election,_1992

-k.