Re: [Nolug] spanish characters not showing

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:28:43 -0400

"Petri Laihonen" <pietu@weblizards.net> writes:

> Characters are mangled within Kwrite, Kate, Quanta, pico, and even when I
> open the document from the remote site via SSH shell.

Which are all KDE apps. I'm using xterm, so what I'm describing
worked for me, but KDE may be different.

I just went to a spanish language website in Firefox and saved the
webpage as text. When I ran "cat file.txt", sure enough, some of the
characters didn't diplay.

Poking around, I tried typing "locale -a". One of the locales showing
was "en_US.utf8". I set the environment variable LC_ALL to
"en_US.utf8" and then re-ran xterm.

After setting LC_ALL, when I run "cat file.txt", the characters are
displayed correctly.

That should get pico and your ssh sessions working.

(Note that I couldn't get it to work in gnome-terminal. I'm not sure
how it'll work in KDE's terminal emulator.)

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.