[Nolug] Cox Connection Dropping - Your specific issue

From: Charles Jouglard <pcguy1_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:45:15 -0500

  I've had this same trouble for a few months now. It seemed like it was
right around the same time Cox upped the cap for home users, and left
the business lines alone. I called a tech out and he was convinced every
NIC had to be bad or it was a problem with cpe, even with a laptop
plugged directly into the cable modem. I was having 1% packet loss at
the good times. The technician came out replaced the modem, and
explained to me that 1% packet loss is fine. Did the problem go away?
No, and I refuse to argue with the companies whom hold all the resources
but none of the responsibility. I'd love to have a Network engineer come
over and tell me 1% packet loss is fine.

--
Regards,
Robert Cochran
Internet Service Department
(504)596-3058
Robert,
Are you having a problem at the business you share with David or somewhere else?
 Have you performed a traceroute?  Where is the packet loss occurring?
The Internet on average has 4% packet loss so yes 1% is usually acceptable.
While it may not be acceptable to someone paying for a service it is a fact of
life in some cases.  Depending on where you are going on the Internet it is
acceptable in general terms.
If you provide me the MAC of the modem you are referring to (offline please)
I'll be happy to take a deeper look.
BTW, the average packet loss across North America this morning was 5% as
reported at: http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm
I know this isn't a comforting fact to someone experiencing a Internet
challenge.  However, the fact remains that not all of the sites we all go to
have upgraded their backbone and servers to keep up with the number of Cable and
DSL Broadband subscribers that are coming online each day.

Thank you,
Charles Jouglard
504-417-3627

Disclaimer:  These comments and the associated pages and files are not endorsed
by Cox Communications, Inc., Cox Louisiana, LLC, Cox Business Services, Inc.
Cox.Net or anyone else other than myself. These same comments, pages, files,
etc., are in no way associated with any of the entities listed above.  If anyone
thinks otherwise, they are sadly mistaken.

Legal Notice:  This electronic mail message and any attached files contain
information intended for the exclusive use of the individual to whom it is or
has been originally addressed and may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
You are hereby forbidden to transfer said electronic mail message by any means
without permission of the sender.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of
this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction, or punishable
under Louisiana Revised Statutes RS 14:73.1, or applicable U.S. Federal
Statutes.  Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any
unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any copies.