Re: [Nolug] Cox Connection Dropping - Your specific issue

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:40:32 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Charles Jouglard wrote:

> The Internet on average has 4% packet loss so yes 1% is usually acceptable.
> While it may not be acceptable to someone paying for a service it is a fact of
> life in some cases. Depending on where you are going on the Internet it is
> acceptable in general terms.

Maybe for the Internet on average, but i'd say 1% packet loss to your next
upstream router is not acceptable. If you're losing 1% right out of the
gate, then how can you hope to have any sort of reliable connection. Can
we agree on that? I'd also say latency above 30-40ms to your next router
(DSL or cable) is not acceptable.

ray