Re: [Nolug] Cox Connection Dropping - Your specific issue

From: Charles Jouglard <pcguy1_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 12:57:01 -0500

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:40:32 -0500 (CDT), -ray wrote:
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Charles Jouglard wrote:

> The Internet on average has 4% packet loss so yes 1% is usually acceptable.
> While it may not be acceptable to someone paying for a service it is a fact of
> life in some cases. Depending on where you are going on the Internet it is
> acceptable in general terms.

Maybe for the Internet on average, but I'd say 1% packet loss to your next
upstream router is not acceptable. If you're losing 1% right out of the
gate, then how can you hope to have any sort of reliable connection. Can
we agree on that? I'd also say latency above 30-40ms to your next router
(DSL or cable) is not acceptable.

ray

Ray,
>From a standard view point your point is correct. In the DOCSIS cable modem
world it isn't always true. We have ICMP traffic (and others) set as the lowest
priority traffic on the routers (uBRs/CMTS) and as such you may see packet loss
to those interfaces at times. While this doesn't help normal customer (or
gamers) much it does help us in many ways. And yes we've seen DDOS from inside
the network at times.

Cheers,
Charles