Re: [Nolug] Cox Connection Dropping - Your specific issue

From: Robert Cochran <rcochran_at_archdiocese-no.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:35:02 -0500

Charles Jouglard wrote:

> I've had this same trouble for a few months now. It seemed like it was
> right around the same time Cox upped the cap for home users, and left
> the business lines alone. I called a tech out and he was convinced every
> NIC had to be bad or it was a problem with cpe, even with a laptop
> plugged directly into the cable modem. I was having 1% packet loss at
> the good times. The technician came out replaced the modem, and
> explained to me that 1% packet loss is fine. Did the problem go away?
> No, and I refuse to argue with the companies whom hold all the resources
> but none of the responsibility. I'd love to have a Network engineer come
> over and tell me 1% packet loss is fine.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Robert Cochran
> Internet Service Department
> (504)596-3058
>
> Robert,
> Are you having a problem at the business you share with David or somewhere else?
> Have you performed a traceroute? Where is the packet loss occurring?
>
> The Internet on average has 4% packet loss so yes 1% is usually acceptable.
> While it may not be acceptable to someone paying for a service it is a fact of
> life in some cases. Depending on where you are going on the Internet it is
> acceptable in general terms.
>
> If you provide me the MAC of the modem you are referring to (offline please)
> I'll be happy to take a deeper look.
>
> BTW, the average packet loss across North America this morning was 5% as
> reported at: http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm
>
> I know this isn't a comforting fact to someone experiencing a Internet
> challenge. However, the fact remains that not all of the sites we all go to
> have upgraded their backbone and servers to keep up with the number of Cable and
> DSL Broadband subscribers that are coming online each day.
>

> Thank you,
> Charles Jouglard
> 504-417-3627

Yes, I understand there are many misconfigured devices connected to the
internet. Also, I understand that if there is packet loss that
communications get messy. So when I get timeouts to the next hop router,
and to cisco.com, I know the network I am on is messed up. The tech whom
visited my site was getting time outs to the Cox DNS servers, and left
the site knowing that it was something with the cpe. I am not convinced
that this is my issue, 75% of my job is interfacing, on my companies
behalf with Bell, so I know how crappy service goes. I appreciate you
looking into my issue Charles, however I would have been more pleased if
the techs assigned to the issue were persistent enough to fix the issue.
This goes back to what I stated previously, If a company with all of the
resources (that Cox has) needs to be more responsible to the problems
that there customers face.

P.S. I will contact you off list this evening with the errors on the
modem and the MAC address. Again, thank you for the help Charles.