RE: [Nolug] Cox Connection Dropping - Packet Loss Topic

From: John Souvestre <johns_at_sstar.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:21:21 -0500

Hi Charles.

No problem. I was busy this morning doing tech support too. I know how it
gets at times. :-)

Let me put it another way: The http://www.internettrafficreport.com/main.htm
site is a worthless piece of <>. It provides as much misinformation as
anything else. It is junk. The people who run it know this yet don't bother
to fix it. It is the best public example of how NOT to monitor a network that
I can think of.

A down route should not count as "100% packet loss" because traffic is
generally routed around it, hence no loss. And why all of those 6% loss
routes? This alone shows that it is trash.

Try http://internetpulse.net/ for some useful information.

Btw - 1% packet loss on small (default) packets translates into 10 - 20%
packet loss on 1500 byte packets. Such a connection is very poor in my book.

Btw - One of my all time favorite tools is PingPlotter. It's a combo
ping/traceroute/history/graphing program. It's only available for Windows,
however. You can find it at http://www.pingplotter.com.

Regards,

John

    John Souvestre - Southern Star - (504) 888-3348 - www.sstar.com

John, an interesting take on this... Did I say it was the final word? No,
because there is no such thing as one site providing the total picture. I use

this site as I do many others as part of the whole picture for
troubleshooting.

Is there data or concepts flawed? Perhaps, they have been tracking the data
longer than almost anyone else. Which by no means makes them the definitive
know-all and see-all for this type of data. Again, they are but one source.

One question. If a router (whether or not it is a main backbone router) is
down
should it not be counted in the averaged statistics????

Sorry if I sound "huffed" I've been dealing with some challenging people all
day
and am at the point where I am giving them very stern direct answers and
requests. Such is the life of dealing with vendors....

Cheers,
Charles