Re: [Nolug] Linux on slowwww laptops

From: Mischa Krilov <subs_at_krilov.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:42:56 -0500

Christopher M. Jones wrote:
> I have recently been trying to put Linux on some old machines, most
> notably two old Laptops. I only know the specs on one: Dell Inspiron
> 3000 with 3G HD and 64M, Pentium MMX 266.

<delurk>
I should've posted my notes from a few months ago. Now I just need to
find them... My famous laptop is a Digital (as in DEC) P200MMX w/96MB
ram, 2G HDD; replaced the screen after using it headless (!) for more
than a year; now the left mouse button has broken and the battery no
longer discharges.

But enough of the past.

I too, put Gentoo (Stage 3) on it, expecting a miracle. I was less than
thrilled with the results. I'm not patient enough.

When I want to use it, I boot off of Damn Small Linux, Feather Linux, or
Puppy Linux. All are sub-100MB distros and can fit on a USB drive or
biz-card CD.

http://damnsmalllinux.org/
http://featherlinux.berlios.de/
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/

I'm also looking into the possibilities of using the machine as a web or
mail server. Anyone have any relevant experience with tiny or small
server distros? TinySofa seems promising, but maybe I just like their logo.

MDK