Re: [Nolug] Two systems down

From: John Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:55:29 -0600

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 20:06:41 -0600
  Mischa Krilov <subs@krilov.com> wrote:
> John Tiedeman wrote:
>> Until about 4 p.m. today, only one system was completely down. Fans
>> turned but no POST. Tried everything on MSI website and even moving the
>> m/b to the other case didn't help.
>
> When I've seen this, it's often been badly seated components- usually
RAM
>or proc. Try removing the RAM (or proc), powering the system, and see if
>it complains about having no memory. Typically, memory errors make system
>give a series of three beeps, pause, repeat. Check your mobo
>manufacturer's manual (or Google) for POST beep codes. YMMV- I've seen a
>system that played Beethoven's "Fur Elise" on the PC speaker when the fan
>died.
>
>> With the other system, I have been having hd problems. They would
>> dual boot with the w2k disc (only 3.2G) for a few days, then quit.
>
> How old is your drive? Who's the manufacturer? Try running the OEM
>diagnostics from a boot floppy if you can. The Ultimate Boot CD
>(ultimatebootcd.com) has all of the major manufacturers' diagnostics, if
>you have the ability to burn a CD. If not, let me know and I can give you
>one.
>
>> Could w2k be destroying the MBR on the Linux
>> hd even though Linux is on the master, w2k on the slave?
>
> If Windows was eating the MBR, I think you've get "NTLDR missing"
errors,
>or it wouldn't boot so far as to think it wants a fsck.
>
> MDK

The no-fans problem seems to have been the motherboard. It had stopped
recognizing floppy drives and I put a new one in. I suspected it of being
bad because I couldn't put an OS on a brand new hd (ST380013A), which I had
bought in desperation because I couldn't get the other three Linux to work.
     The system now boots w2k but no internet because I can't find the
driver for the built-in NIC (Realtek 8169, I think--or is that in the MSI,
which stil l won't POST though the fans turn. That is on the old 3.2G hd
with 95M free.
     Here is the latest on the other hds:
ST380013A (2003, I think): "Boot disk fail"
IBM 20G: "Repair file system) # 1" -- takes several minutes, then an X
appears