Re: [Nolug] Can-t reactivate eth0

From: John Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:10:53 -0600

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:36:28 -0600
  "John Tiedeman" <jdtiede@sstar.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:37:08 -0600
> Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Error saving configuration!
> >> [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '//etc/sysconfig/network-
> >> scripts//ifcfg-lo.rpmsave'"
> >
> > Look at that path... see the extra slashes? That's got to be causing
>the
> > symptoms you are seeing.
>
> Yes, I saw the extra slashes and tried keying the path both ways, and
>both worked. But where might the system be picking those up? I didn't
>enter anything that way except in testing, as above.
>
> Sometimes after that message I get a mesage that device rtl8129 can't be
>found and that may cause delay in initializing. The network card is a
>Realtek 8169, and the network configurator finds that and inserts it.
>Deleting the old config and starting over produces the same results.

I went back and looked at the contents of the two scripts:

Contents of ifcfg-eth0:
IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=yes
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ifcfg-lo.rpmsave is a link to /etc/sysconfig/networking/ifcfg-lo, which
doesn't exist. I went into ifcfg-eth0 and changed USERCTL to yes. That
allows me to start initialization from my own login, but I still get the
message about rtl8129's absence. Could Realtek 8169 be dependent on it?