Re: [Nolug] Can-t reactivate eth0

From: -ray <ray_at_ops.selu.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:22:39 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004, John Tiedeman wrote:

> I went back and looked at the contents of the two scripts:
>
> Contents of ifcfg-eth0:
> IPV6INIT=no
> ONBOOT=yes
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>
> ifcfg-lo.rpmsave is a link to /etc/sysconfig/networking/ifcfg-lo, which
> doesn't exist. I went into ifcfg-eth0 and changed USERCTL to yes. That
> allows me to start initialization from my own login, but I still get the
> message about rtl8129's absence. Could Realtek 8169 be dependent on it?

Is the rtl8129 module loaded? Do lsmod and see. If it's loaded, you
should have an eth0 device. ifconfig -a to see if you have both lo and
eth0 devices.

The ifcfg-lo file should exist... try creating it manually. That is
probably why it is complaining. ifcfg-lo should look like this:

DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback

ray