Re: [Nolug] Can-t reactivate eth0

From: John Tiedeman <jdtiede_at_sstar.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:18:53 -0600

> Is the rtl8129 module loaded? Do lsmod and see.
Not loaded, can't find on hd. Found where to download it using this machine,
p subnotebook without fd or cd capabilities.

> If it's loaded, you should have an eth0 device. ifconfig -a to see if you > have both lo and eth0 devices.
lo is fine, but for eth0 it says 'not configured.'

> The ifcfg-lo file should exist... try creating it manually. That is
> probably why it is complaining. ifcfg-lo should look like this:
>
> DEVICE=lo
> IPADDR=127.0.0.1
> NETMASK=255.0.0.0
> NETWORK=127.0.0.0
> # If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
> # you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
> BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
> ONBOOT=yes
> NAME=loopback

I inserted the above, but without rtl8129 it doesn't help. Since 45l8129 is
1.6 kb it's a little much to key in.

Both network and CD were working on the machine in question before the
calamity with w2k on dual boot when it couldn't find NTLDR. I could probably
fix either problem if both resources weren't unavailable to me at this time.
The subnotebook, which I am using, can communicate with the outside only
throuh its NIC.

I plan to be away tomorrow and Friday.