Re: [Nolug] google storage (funny)

From: Alex McKenzie <alex_at_boxchain.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:03:25 -0500

Chris Reames wrote:
> Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 11:22 -0500, Chris Reames wrote:
>>

>>> In addition, you will notice a slight weight gain due to the increase
>>> in rotational speed. Google regrets any in convenience, but chooses
>>> to view this increase in gravity as a positive health benefit due to
>>> the increase in cardio-vascular exercise the entire population will
>>> gain from this undocumented feature.
>>>

>> Gravity is not affected by the speed of rotation. Gravity can be
>> simulated by the use of centripetal force
>> (http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/physics/phys06/bartgrav/default.htm),
>> which is probably what you are thinking.
>>
>> (What did you expect? You sent the email to a mailing list filled with
>> geeks. Someone's gotta say something!)
>>
>> Mark.
>>

> Cause and effect was what I was thinking of...if you increase the speed
> of rotation, you increase the centripetal force of a free floating body
> (ie in fluid) the rotational speed of the surrounding bodies (unless
> fixed into position) will increase. Eg. toilet water. Free floating
> objects will increase speed when you flush. Contrary, your head (being
> fixed to your shoulders) will not increase in rotational speed. You may
> wish to perform this experimental exercise at your leisure. *smirk*
> (I believe there is a function expressed as the declination of speed vs
> distance, but I can't recall if it applies to this situation.)
>
> I also believe that gravity is simulated by centrifugal force, as the
> objects are being forced away from the central rotation.
> but thats just me...maybe I don't exist

An increase in rotational speed of the Earth would cause all of us to
weigh *less* (in terms of force, not mass), due to centripetal forces
acting away from the center of the Earth. And toilets would flush
faster due to increased Coriolis effects, which are so complicated that
they weren't discovered until the sciences of dynamics and fluid
mechanics were well established.

Gravity is only dependent on mass, which won't change in this scenario.

--
Alex McKenzie   alex()boxchain.com   http://www.boxchain.com
skype:boxchain