Re: [Nolug] An idea...

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 11:13:26 -0500

James Faircloth wrote:
> How many of your are running web, email, ftp, dns, ssh, or any other
> types of servers in your house/office? I know that most of the time
> that people try to learn a new OS that they're looking for answers to
> specific questions. I was thinking that maybe as a group we could
> agree on a distro, some server pieces and work through and write up a
> HOWTO on building your own home "do everything but the kitchen sink"
> server.
>
> What do you guys think?

We did a big chunk of this a few years ago though it could use some updates.
http://www.scottharney.com/tcp-ip-class/

It was presented over a couple of meetings. This was written up as a
supplement. It's also pretty old
http://www.scottharney.com/nolug-dns/

You could use these as a jumping off point for doing a distro-specific building
from the ground up presentation like you describe.

> James
>
> PS. Tom, I still have the 3 dat drives if you want them... if not, I'm
> sure people on here wouldn't mind them. ;)

Scott Harney <scotth@scottharney.com>
"Asking the wrong questions is the leading cause of wrong answers"
gpg key fingerprint=7125 0BD3 8EC4 08D7 321D CEE9 F024 7DA6 0BC7 94E5