[Nolug] Why i believe PHP is out to get me.

From: dbourn1_at_tulane.edu
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:21:19 -0500

Hi list,...
    Ive got this streak im trying to break. I figured perhaps someone here could
help me out.
Every time i get into a unix/linux project,.. i hit a wall and give up. Usually
that wall is PHP. I have never ever ever gotten it to work. Ive tried a billion
times on a billion different projects but i always end up giving up because of
PHP. Ive followed walk throughs for a snort/acid box on at least 7 different
flavors of linux (and BSD). I have even bought every book on PHP with a chapter
dedicated to installation. But ive never gotten one totally up and running, and
usually just give up after a couple weeks of fiddling with it.
Now im working on a mail server which includes squrilmail. And guess what,..
built PHP from source and cant get it to work with apache. Im on over 2 weeks
of playing with it, recompilng with different configure options to no avail.
For the life of me i just cant get PHP to work. (actually php works, just not
with apache. if i run php -v from prompt i get response.)
I dont want to throw in the towel again and walk away from this project. I want
to get it working, but im at a loss. Is there anybody out there with a little
spare time to lend me a hand?

The Particulars
FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE
Apache 2.0.53 (From Ports)
PHP 4.3.11(configured --enable-track-vars --enable-force-cgi-redirect
--with-gettext --with-mysql)

the problem
To configure apache to use php i have to tell it where libphp4.so is (in
httpd.conf). I dont have a libphp4.so file anywhere on the computer.

Just to give you an example of why i am loosing my hair. Take the Find command.
#man find
find -name [filename] yadda yadda yadda
#find -name libphp4.so
find: illegal option -n
find: illegal option -a
find: illegal option -m
find: illegal option -e

This is about the time i started yelling profanities at the computer and
threatened to cut the power cord. Computers dont respond well to threats,..
Since then i learned about the Locate command,.. still dont know why they left
in the man pages for Find if it dosent work anyway.

Ive been working with linux//unix for over 10 years,.. and im still a horrible
newb.

Anyway,.. is there anyone who would lend a hand to help lower my blood preasure?
Save another young man from premature baldness.