[Nolug] Fwd: Apress Open Source Updates

From: Joey Kelly <joey_at_joeykelly.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:52:54 -0500

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Apress Open Source Updates
Date: Thursday 27 April 2006 19:02
From: Apress Newsletters <newsletters@apress.com>
To: joey@joeykelly.net

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Apress Newsletter
LinuxWorld Boston 2006 edition
http://www.apress.com

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sections:
0. welcome,
1. Apress Open Source eBook Sale Through April 30, 2006
2. Free eBooks
3. $10 Companion eBooks
4. betaBooks
5. Introducing the Apress Affiliate Program
6. New and Forthcoming Titles

*************************************

0. welcome,

Thanks to everyone who stopped by our booth and took a spin on our Wheel of
 Fortune at LinuxWorld earlier this month! Between the server fire on Tuesday
 and the snowfall on Wednesday, we're pretty sure this will go down as the
 LinuxWorld of extremes. Excitement and smiles were everywhere, and we
 enjoyed being a part of it. Here's hoping that LinuxWorld Boston 2007 will
 be just as fun.

*************************************

1. Apress Open Source eBook Sale Through April 30, 2006

It's open season for open source! All Apress open source and open source Java
 eBooks are an additional 25% off the already discounted eBook price. Stock
 up now at http://eBookshop.apress.com - this sale ends April 30, 2006.

*************************************

2. Free eBooks

Speaking of eBooks, have you downloaded our free titles at
 http://www.apress.com/free/index.html? That's right, we said free, as in
 there are eight Apress eBook titles available for free download. What are
 you waiting for?

*************************************

3. $10 Companion e-Books

We believe Apress books will prove so indispensable that you'll want to carry
 them with you everywhere, which is why we are offering a $10 companion eBook
 to customers who purchase specially marked books.

Visit your favorite brick-and-mortar bookstore and look for Apress titles
 stamped with "Companion eBook Available" on the spine. Once you purchase
 your book, getting the $10 companion eBook is simple:

1. Visit www.apress.com/promo/tendollars/
2. Complete a basic registration form and receive a randomly generated
 question about the book 3. Answer the question correctly in 60 seconds, and
 you will receive a promotional code to redeem for the $10 eBook version

Convenient and fully searchable, companion eBooks make a valuable addition to
 your programming library. You can easily find, copy, and apply code-and then
 perform examples by quickly toggling between instructions and the
 application.

*************************************

4. betaBooks

Apress wants to put our books on the newest technologies into your hands as
 quickly as possible. Purchasing a betaBook will give you the earliest
 possible access to a featured new book's chapters as they become available
 from the author. Upon the book's completion, you will receive a
 complimentary copy of the entire finished eBook. Check out what's available
 so far: http://www.apress.com/betabook.html

*************************************

5. Introducing the Apress Affiliate Program

The new Apress Affiliate Program benefits online communities, website owners,
 and bloggers who publicly recognize Apress books and help generate sales.
 The program credits affiliates who link to Apress eBooks a 10% commission on
 eBook sales, when their visitors click through and purchase Apress eBooks.
 Setup is free and an account is easy to maintain. Apress will supply
 affiliates with images or text links to place on their sites. At the
 beginning of every month, we'll send a check to each affiliate for the
 previous month's commissions. Learn more at
 http://www.apress.com/affiliate/index.html.

*************************************

6. New and Forthcoming Titles

**Recently Published**
Beginning PHP and MySQL 5: From Novice to Professional, Second Edition
1590595521 | 2006-01-23 | $44.99
by W. Jason Gilmore
Updated to reflect the changes in PHP 5 and MySQL 5, this second edition
 shows you how to take advantage of the newest features to build powerful web
 applications. http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10017

The Definitive Guide to Apache mod_rewrite
1590595610 | 2006-02-08 | $39.99
by Rich Bowen
The first book to explain the much adored Apache module, mod_rewrite! From
 installation to proxies, you'll learn how to effectively manipulate URLs
 with ease. http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10030

Ajax Patterns and Best Practices
1590596161 | 2006-02-13 | $44.99
by Christian Gross
Build efficient and functional Ajax websites using the REST protocol and
 patterns provided throughout this bestselling book.
 http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10069

Expert Spring MVC and Web Flow
159059584X | 2006-02-21 | $44.99
by Seth Ladd, Darren Davison, Steven Devijver, Colin Yates
In-depth coverage of Spring MVC and Spring Web Flow, two highly customizable
 and powerful web frameworks brought to you by the developers and community
 of the Spring Framework. http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10048

Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to Professional
1590595475 | 2006-02-27 | $49.99
by W. Jason Gilmore, Robert H. Treat
Create dynamic web applications with two of the most popular open source
 technologies today - PHP 5 and PostgreSQL 8.
 http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10016

Pro JSF and Ajax: Building Rich Internet Components
1590595807 | 2006-2-27 | $49.99
By John R. Fallows, Jonas Jacobi
Build Ajax-enabled JavaServer Faces (JSF) components for sophisticated,
 enterprise-level Rich Internet Applications and leverage the full potential
 of JSF and Ajax. http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10044

Beginning Ubuntu Linux: From Novice to Professional
1590596277 | 2006-03-15 | $39.99
by Keir Thomas
If you've been considering a transition to Ubuntu, the most popular Linux
 distribution today, this book is for you! Bundled with an Ubuntu 5.10
 installation CD, this book will ease the transition from Windows and other
 Linux distros to Ubuntu! http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10086

Beginning POJOs: From Novice to Professional
1590595963 | 2006-03-24 | $39.99
by Brian Sam-Bodden
This title introduces open source lightweight web development using Plain Old
 Java Objects (POJOs) and guides you through the construction of complex but
 lightweight enterprise Java-based web applications.
 http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10059

Pro PHP XML and Web Services
1590596331 | 2006-03-27 | $49.99
by Robert Richards
The authoritative guide to using the XML features of PHP 5 and 6. You'll
 learn about the core concepts of XML and the key terminology to ensure
 proper coding techniques. http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10092

**Forthcoming**

Pro PHP-GTK
1590596137 | 2006-04-24 | $44.99
by Scott Mattocks
This book serves as both a definitive reference and a hands-on tutorial to
 the PHP-GTK (GIMP Toolkit) extension.
 http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10072

Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional
1590595874 | 2006-04-24 | $49.99
by Akkana Peck
GIMP is the popular open source alternative to Photoshop. This book takes you
 through installation and common tasks to perform the most common image
 manipulation tasks. http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10080

Pro Nagios 2.0
1590596099 | 2006-04-24 | $49.99
by James Turnbull
Learn how to install and administer Nagios, the web-based enterprise
 management tool that helps monitor Unix, Windows, network devices,
 infrastructure equipment, and applications.
 http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10096

Pro Apache XML
1590596412 | 2006-04-24 | $44.99
by Poornachandra Sarang
This book introduces several of the projects under the Apache Foundation,
 including Axis, Xindice, and Cocoon.
 http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10099

Pro Apache Geronimo
1590596420 | 2006-04-24 | $39.99
by Kishore Kumar
Here you'll find everything you need to know about using Apache Geronimo, the
 open source lightweight J2EE/Java EE 5 web application server. **Available
 now in betaBook format!** http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10095

The Definitive Guide to SQLite
1590596730 | 2006-05-29 | $44.99
by Mike Owens
Both a tutorial and reference guide for those interested in using the
 embeddable database SQLite, this book is sure to be a saving grace for many.
 http://apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html?bID=10130

631d9c6e6c24d320eba51&l=5

For all other requests, please do not reply to this e-mail. Instead, e-mail
 info@apress.com and we'll get back to you regarding your query.

Apress - The Expert's Voice(TM)
2560 Ninth St, Suite 219
Berkeley, CA 94710
510-549-5930

**END**

How many spyware pop-ups did you get on your Windows computer today?