Re[4]: [Nolug] SCO and now Microsoft + Novell attacking Linux

From: Dustin Puryear <>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:11:55 -0600

Well, the conversation started with an Ubuntu vs. Debian slant, so I
assumed desktop because of the Ubuntu mention. Sure, you can use it
for a server, but frankly I haven't really seen it mentioned as being
used for anything but a desktop Linux. (Although Ubuntu's marketing
literature would beg to differ.)

That said, Ubuntu could be the greatest Linux server distro in the
world, but I wouldn't know since I haven't tried it. ;-)

Puryear Information Technology, LLC
Baton Rouge, LA * 225-706-8414
  "Best Practices for Managing Linux and UNIX Servers"
  "Spam Fighting and Email Security in the 21st Century"
Download your free copies:
Thursday, December 7, 2006, 1:44:44 AM, you wrote:
> On 12/6/06, Dustin Puryear <> wrote:
>> Debian does have a rather painfully slow release cycle.
> I actually find that a plus in a world where I maintain many dozens of
> systems.  I would rather patch a system to current patches on a three year
> old release than have a release  no longer officicially maintained after 12
> months (fedora).  Desktops aside, slow release cycles are not a bad thing.
> Another reason I love my Sun Solaris systems... years and years and years of
> patches & official support.
Nolug mailing list