Re: [Nolug] SCO and now Microsoft + Novell attacking Linux

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:43:58 -0500

"Shannon Roddy" <sroddy@gmail.com> writes:

> On 12/6/06, Joey Kelly <joey@joeykelly.net> wrote:
>
> I'll ask a question first... what flaws does Debian have that
> need addressing?
>
> Installation.

Actually, I wouldn't say installation. I tried Gentoo a year and a
half ago. The hurry-up-and-wait method it used then was far more
painful for me. Given my experience with Gentoo and with Debian, I
truly do not understand this criticism.

Instead, I was thinking more of the default configuration for packages
that you installed. Debian does a decent job of providing defaults,
but Ubuntu does a terrific job.

Ubuntu has taken the Debian system and tried to take care of the last
20% of the job: details that hackers don't want to work on, but that
matter to system administrators and end users.

I should note that I use Ubuntu as my primary desktop as well as on
the servers that I maintain for our startup
(http://busytonight.com/). I prefer to start with a reasonable set of
defaults and built from there.

(Note also, that Ubuntu's desktop installer is a Live CD with usable
desktop apps to keep you from being totally unproductive while waiting
for an installation.)

--
http://hexmode.com/
GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2  B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5