Re: [Nolug] OT: Windows Data replication Software

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:32:45 -0500

Simon Dorfman wrote:
> I'm researching options for setting up a remote Windows 2003 Server for use
> during a hurricane evacuation. I want something that will copy data from
> the server on our LAN to the remote server (Dallas co-lo), as files are
> changed. Or, if that's too expensive, every night, do a data sync.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these two data replication apps? If
> yes, any feedback?:
> PeerSync
> http://www.peersoftware.com/solutions/peersync/server_mirroring_solutions.as
>
> PowerFolder
> http://www.powerfolder.com/
>
> Any other solution ideas? Maybe rsync for windows via SSH? Anyone set
> anything like that up?

Veritas Volume replicator I have used on Unix and I know the Wintel
folks at my office also use it extensively as well as Veritas RepExec.

For the every night do a data sync methodology, it shouldn't be too hard
to put cygwin on both ends and just run rsync over ssh out of cron like
you would with a linux box.

I would be interested to know of any open source apps that can sync
deltas like VVR and some of the tools you are mentioning with Linux.