Re: [Nolug] Web forensics

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 14:37:03 -0400

"Chris Jones" <techmaster@gmail.com> writes:

> Even though it's in a directory that basically has no way of listing
> its contents, google can somehow find out about the existence of this
> file, spider the file, and keep a copy of it in google cache.

Of course that is a “real issue”! If Google can find out about a file,
it can spider it. If Google (or any other web spider) can find a link
to the file, it knows about the file.

If you're dealing with a case where the file has actually been exposed
on Google, then you can find out who is linking to it by doing the
following query on google:

  link:example.com/rest/of/url

But, if you're just looking for independent confirmation:

  http://www.siliconvalleysleuth.com/2006/02/things_you_dont.html
  http://www.virtualchase.com/articles/searching_dirty.html

Hope that helps,

Mark.

--
http://hexmode.com/
GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2  B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5