Re: [Nolug] Open Source Managed Services?

From: Dane Reugger <dane_at_downtownpc.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 00:38:28 -0600

Kaseya is a tool for MSPs (Managed Service Providors) - theory is you
charge so much per computer (desktop or server) and you catch things
before they break but it's far beyond monitoring - software deployment,
patch management, scripting, real time log alerts, etc. Some use client
software like Kaseya or Handsfree and others use WMI (like Level
Platforms - LPI). They are all MS centric - one claims limited OS X and
Linux support. Most offer some sort of SNMP support. Most (if not all)
offer remote access - usually using a bridged connection and VNC.

 I know a little about most of them and have hand on experience w/ 2 of
them (Handsfree and LPI) - personally I'm not sold but Dell is - they
bought MSP provider Silverback last year.

In case you are curios, about a year ago min order from Kaseya is 250
licenses $12,000 + maintenance was about 20% per year.

And the Open Source solution I mentioned earlier - Purgos -
http://softulz.net/products.shtml

-Dane