Re: [Nolug] crontabs vs /etc/cron.[daily,hourly,*] vs. /etc/cron.d/

From: Chris Jones <techmaster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 08:57:35 -0600

I've never even heard of putting the entries into cron.d. The hourly/daily
ones are by far easier to use, but I still like crontab since it provides
more flexibility with when you want things to run. I know there are some
command line tools you can use to add/remove entries, I forget their names,
but they will edit the crontab file for you, to keep it clean and
consistant, and lower the risk of two people editing it at the same time and
making a mess.

On Jan 8, 2008 10:55 PM, Mark A. Hershberger <mah@everybody.org> wrote:

> Dustin Puryear <dustin@puryear-it.com> writes:
>
> > So, what are your thoughts? How do you handle this?
>
> I hate using /etc/crontab. Or user cronjobs.
>
> Files in /etc/cron.* are much easier for me to deal with. I'll put a
> script under /etc/cron.daily if it only needs to run once a day, sure.
> But if I need it to run as a non-root user or run, say, every five
> minutes, then I'll put a file in /etc/cron.d.
>
> --
> http://hexmode.com/
> GPG Fingerprint: 7E15 362D A32C DFAB E4D2 B37A 735E F10A 2DFC BFF5
>
> My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in
> inverse proportion to my expectations. -- Michael J. Fox

Chris Jones
http://www.industrialarmy.com