Re: [Nolug] Cox: grrrr.... BIG GRRR...

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:17:20 -0600

Three things:
1. @Home & Cox _advertise_ Always On
2. My web server uses so little bandwidth, it's pathetic. NOLUG's
   list server generates a relatively low volume. Attaching scanned
   pictures to an email, then CCing it to family and friends generates
   more.
3. Incoming streaming video, Flash, etc. uses a _large_ bandwidth.

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:57:00 -0600 Edward Melendez <e@melendez.org> wrote:
> I am probably a little biased because:
>
> 1) Having been in the access business for 5 years, I know how much it
> costs to deliver good quality Internet access.
> 2) I've watched most access companies if not melt down, take a beating due
> to the price wars for customers.
>
> I'm also no apologist for monopoly companies of any sort. But I think the
> current trend in flat rate access isn't really practical. Why should the
> ISP be cahrging the same price to a "geek" who's running a server in her
> house as they are charging grandpa who sends the occasional e-mail? I know
> it's unpopular to say in our circle, but it's true. It just doesn't make
> sense. Line "squatters" realy hit the small ISPs hardest back in the old
> school modem days. An industry standard used to be 10 users per
> modem/phone line. "Squatters" caused most of the busy signals that people
> were so concerned with (except of course, AOL's obtuse marketing . Big boy
> ISP would just fire the guy who felt it was his right to camp on the line
> all day (or use a personal account for business purposes). Maybe the guy
> wuld call and complain, make a (insert ISP name here)sucks.com page,
> whatever. Doesn't matter to the big company. However, the small ISP who
> did that risked tremndous loss when the guy does the same thing to the
> locally owned and operated company, which gets smeared as "greedy."
>
> So all that to say, those of us with flat rate, "always on" accounts are
> getting a sweet deal. Especially those of us who bang the bejeesus out of
> "consumer" accounts. Remember how much a dialup account cost, say 3-4
> years ago? Let's enjoy it while it lasts, or even think about how we could
> form our own access buying group.
>
> Thanks for reading.
>
> Edward Melendez
> http://www.melendez.org
>

> At 10:25 AM 1/30/2002 -0500, Mikey wrote:
>
> <crystal_ball time="near future">
> >I see a bunch of geeks going DSL if $DSL_COMPANY keeps rates < US$100 a
> >month for service with a static IP.
> ></crystal_ball>

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |