Re: [Nolug] DNS problems at Cox?

From: Craig Jackson <cjackson58_at_directvinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 17:46:48 -0500

On 05 May 2002 16:17:44 -0500

> On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 09:21, Charles wrote:
> > No way. The only thing we have running on XP are a few laptops for
> > testing and evaluation. All of the other workstations are running
> > 2000 both as the OS and Office suites.
> >
> > Charles Jouglard
> > Cox Louisiana
> > HSI System Engineer
> > 504.390.4432
>
> Hi, Charles.
>
> In the past 4 or 5 days, it seems as though it's been difficult
> (i.e. must try 3 or 4 times) to get to certain domains, while
> others continue to come up instantly.
>
> The error messages has been on the order of: "foobar.com does
> not exist".
>
> In fact, I just got an error while trying to send this email:
> "DNS error looking up smtp.east.cox.net". (Of course, I resent
> it!)
>
> Have there been any hiccups at the DNS level?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron
> --
> +------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net |
> | Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
> | |
> | Freedom is not free |
> | Korean War Memorial |

Ron,

Maybe try djbdns on your own Linux box. Work was throwing out an old
presario which worked fine, so I put a minimal RHAT install with djbdns
and I have my own proxy nameserver which works great. Every now and then
I get DNS errors but it's usually advertizers who don't know how to set
up DNS properly. Just an idea.

--
Craig Jackson
Self-sufficient as always, his last act was to feel his own pulse at the