Re: [Nolug] IMAP for home use

From: Peter Kahle <pkahle_at_pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 17:58:50 -0500

Actually, I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about IMAP. Just have
procmail plop it in the appropriate file in the appropriate folder, and
IMAP will just pick it up. So, in my case, I have procmail store stuff
in the ~/mail/ directory. NOLUG goes in ~/mail/NOLUG, my "default"
mailbox is ~/mail/Unfiltered, that sort of thing. Then, when your IMAP
server opens it up, it'll figure out what's new and what isn't, and
display it to you. As a bonus, you can still read it all in mutt when
you're ssh'd in from remote (Like I am now)
Hope that helps,

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:17:35PM -0500, Ron wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 15:20, Peter Kahle wrote:
> > On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 03:03:51PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > > Also, what daemon will periodically move mail from my
> > > ISP's pop3 server to my local IMAP spool files? At the moment,
> > > my Evolution filters will move mail from the pop server to
> > > IMAP folders, but that dependance on the client, of course,
> > > isn't the point of IMAP.
> > >
> > > Would it be fetchmail?
> >
> > Yup. Combined with procmail or similar, you can have stuff put in the
> > appropriate folder for you.
>
> Thanks.
>
> The fetchmail man page says "As each message is retrieved
> fetchmail normally delivers it via SMTP to port 25 on the machine
> it is running on (localhost)"
>
> Then, down further, it says "You can force mail to be passed to
> an MDA directly (rather than forwarded to port 25) with the -mda
> or -m option. To avoid losing mail, use this option only with
> MDAs like procmail...".
>
> However, searching the procmail man page for IMAP turns up nothing.
> Can you point the way to a Fscking Manual?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> (This sounds like it would be a good meeting topic...)
> --
> +------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net |
> | Jefferson, LA USA http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
> | |
> | You ask us the same question every day, and we give you |
> | the same answer every day. Someday, we hope that you will |
> | believe us... |
> | Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter |

Those who would give up essential Liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.
					-- Ben Franklin
|| Peter M Kahle Jr              ||     PGP Public Key on Keyservers     ||
|| pkahle@pobox.com              ||   http://www.kahlilia.org/~pkahle/   ||