Re: [Nolug] IMAP for home use

From: Ron <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 08 May 2002 20:12:02 -0500

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 17:58, Peter Kahle wrote:
> Actually, I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about IMAP. Just have
> procmail plop it in the appropriate file in the appropriate folder, and
> IMAP will just pick it up. So, in my case, I have procmail store stuff
> in the ~/mail/ directory. NOLUG goes in ~/mail/NOLUG, my "default"
> mailbox is ~/mail/Unfiltered, that sort of thing. Then, when your IMAP
> server opens it up, it'll figure out what's new and what isn't, and
> display it to you. As a bonus, you can still read it all in mutt when
> you're ssh'd in from remote (Like I am now)
> Hope that helps,

Hmmm. Yes, I think does. What IMAP are you using? Washington?
Cyrus, which I am (currently) using, puts email messages in
/var/spool/cyrus/mail/..., with each email in individual files,
a la mh. Plus, there are cyrus-specific files in each sub-
directory.

> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:17:35PM -0500, Ron wrote:

> > > Yup. Combined with procmail or similar, you can have stuff put in the
> > > appropriate folder for you.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > The fetchmail man page says "As each message is retrieved
> > fetchmail normally delivers it via SMTP to port 25 on the machine
> > it is running on (localhost)"
> >
> > Then, down further, it says "You can force mail to be passed to
> > an MDA directly (rather than forwarded to port 25) with the -mda
> > or -m option. To avoid losing mail, use this option only with
> > MDAs like procmail...".
> >
> > However, searching the procmail man page for IMAP turns up nothing.
> > Can you point the way to a Fscking Manual?
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > (This sounds like it would be a good meeting topic...)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| You ask us the same question every day, and we give you    |
| the same answer every day.  Someday, we hope that you will |
| believe us...                                              |
|   Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter                           |