Re: [Nolug] cheap high speed connection

From: Craig Jackson <cjackson58_at_directvinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 20:18:30 -0500

I've used Directv since February and have had no problem at all. Several
points:

1) Port 80

Cox blocked it on an irregular basis. Maybe they block it now full time.
I don't know. For sure the rule states no web sites on the @home
network.

However, Directv rules also state no web sites. But the rep I spoke to
said web sites were allowed. Bottom line...they can block them if they
become a problem.

2) Performance

Cox download was a consistent 1.8 Mbps. When I left them, this was a
fairly consistent. Directv is a _very_ consistent 1.2 Mbps. For web
surfing obviously there's no difference. For massive downloads from high
bandwidth sites, theres a very big difference.

FYI, there's a service out there for people who run web sites on
networks like Cox's such that you can set up your site on say port 81
(not blocked by cox) and surfers can send to port 80 but still connect
to your port 81. I guess you call it virtual port redirection.

--
Craig Jackson
To divide a cube into two other cubes, a fourth power or in general any