[Nolug] Bellsouth and DSL

From: Dave Prentice <prentice_at_instruction.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:54:23 -0600

Hope y'all might be able to help me get out of my horror story. A
while back I got a call from Cox about saving money on my phone
service. I have 2 lines; one regular, and one DSL (Directvinternet).
The rates sounded good, so I asked if they supported DSL. The sales
person mistakenly said yes, so I ordered it.
    On Nov. 26 the installer came out. In a matter of minutes he was
able to transfer my two existing phone numbers to Cox. As soon as he
was done, I saw the DSL wasn't working. He knew nothing about it, so I
called their tech support. They apologized and said the sales person
was wrong, and that there was no problem about switching back to
Bellsouth.
    I called Bellsouth while the Cox installer was still there. To
make a long story short, they said they couldn't give me back my old
phone numbers if I switched back -- even though I still have them.
(Cox has said repeatedly that there is no hold on the numbers, so
there should be no problem for Bell to take one or both of them
back. ) As a result I decided to keep the main number with Cox, which
is much easier to deal with than Bellsouth anyway. It took 2 weeks
(!!!!!) for Bellsouth to finally get my other line switched back. They
still insist that they cannot give me back the original phone number
that I am STILL USING, so they assigned a new number. The problem is
that Directvinternet said my DSL modem is programmed to a specific
phone number, so if I have to use the new number I need a different
modem. That would take up to 12 days, and I've been down over 2 weeks
already. (This email was sent via the old 28.8.)
    Bellsouth is being utterly ridiculous. Cox had no trouble at all
letting me keep the same number, but it seems that Bell is incompetent
to figure how to do exactly the same thing. I keep getting a
runaround. Does anybody know anybody with some pull at Bell that I
could talk to?
Thanks,
Dave Prentice
prentice@instruction.com