[Nolug] Need new internet service...

From: Charles <pcguy1_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 21:07:09 -0600
Good evening everyone.  You've got to love the threads that go around
when  I'm trying to lurk and get some work done.  I had to just chime
in on this issue.  Let me say, I love the company I work for most of
the time.  I don't always agree with the decisions that are made
above me.  However, they do direct deposit my pay so I have to
enforce the rules the legal department puts forth.

As for as the original questions: 1. No static IPs on the residential
service.  Yes it is DHCP, and yes it should be dynamic but if a
customer is securing his or her network with a firewall that is on
all the time then when the IP lease is up for renewal it will
normally be reassigned....

2. Most of the services you listed are against the AUP.

3. The speeds you are looking for are currently part of the basic
residential service.  Of course, you won't always realize those
speeds because of Internet congestion and slow routers on the
Internet.  If you don't believe me I could show you some "BGP"
Internet routes that would make your head spin.

Horror stories?  Do you have a few days?  I could tell you some
stories.  Yes we had many issues when we were partnered with the
Excite@Home corporation.  Of course we had some growing pains at the
beginning of this year as well.  Try Planning, engineering, ordering
and taking delivery of enough equipment to run a complete ISP and a
complete nationwide backbone.  All in the time span of 30 days.  And
then keep a large amount of customers up while converting them over
to the above network.

Except for individual issues I would hope that most customers would
tell you that their experience recently and currently is good.  As
for the Internet... Take into consideration that between cable modem,
DSL, and ADSL providers.  There are about a million customers added
each month in the US alone.  Think about the fact that all of the
customers now have access to an always on connection.

Today most people would not think twice about starting multiple 10
meg downloads.  Back when we were dialing into BBSs we would start a
1 or 2 meg download just before going to bed and pray that it would
"finish" by the time we woke up the next morning.

As for the "68.14.X.X" IP blocks.  If you obtain one from the DHCP
server it is a mistake.  This block is reserved for our business
customers.  And yes since they are part of the business block of
course they will allowed servers to pass traffic.  If you are
"borrowing" one, down and dirty you are stealing.

Some people have been caught and quietly handled.  Others have gotten
away with abuse.  Let me just say that a large part of my teams
effort has been to provide a consistently reliable service for our
customers.  I believe we've done a good job.  All the while growing
the network and adding reliability.  That was then, during this first
year of a "Self-Reliant" Cox Network.

Well, this is now and I can say that the emphasis is growing.  Abuse
and continued security issues are being pressed.  The local team
along with a large well trained security team in corporate is in
place and working to limit, catch and if needed prosecute abusers.

Thanks for the opportunity to answer your questions and dump a little
bit.  Of course if anyone has any  questions I'm available to help.
I'm trying to make the dinner meeting so I can meet more of you guys.

Cheers,
Charles Jouglard
Senior System Engineer
Regional Abuse Administrator
Cox Louisiana
High Speed Internet Division
504-390-4432

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 03:35:46PM -0600, Robert Cochran wrote:
>1) If they can catch you they're not doing a good job.

Trust me. it's easy.  They may not be doing it now but they ought to
be and probably will at some point.  Besides it's rude to steal an IP
in this manner.  However, if you can get it DHCP-assigned then bob's
your Uncle.  If you can find a 68.14.x.x address  that you're
connected to, you can get your dhcp client to request this address
and possibly obtain it if it is indeed free.  This will bug no one
and is perfectly legit.
once you get the lease, I can tell you firsthand that it is highly
unlikely to change presuming you're not one to power off your
firewall.

>2) Your IP address had to change (@home had a 24.0.0.0/8 and cox.net
>owns 68.0.0.0 - 68.15.0.0)

You misunderstand my post.  That is the last time my address changed.
How many months ago was that?