Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Brett D. Estrade <estrabd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:46:25 +0000

Joey Kelly wrote:

>Hey y'all,
>
>We tossed a few ideas around at this week's nolug meeting (like we always do,
>I guess) as to how we can make our club grow/improve/whatever:

Does the group have a mission statement or some other charter-like
document, or is its direction dictated by which direction the linux
winds happen to be blowing? If not, I think it would help provide some
focus on exactly what the group is intended to accomplish regularly.

>1). I mentioned that the Baton Rouge Linux Users Group (http://brlug.org) is
>gearing up to offer linux classes to interested parties. I lurk on their
>list, and don't know the scope of what they are trying to do (will they
>charge for the classes, what target audience are the trying to reach, etc.?),
>but they do seem rather hyped about it. Could we do something similar here in
>New Orleans? Several people expressed reservations, mainly about the present
>strength of nolug being a large barrier to the success of this type of
>venture.

How big is BRLUG? Also, how are they structured? It has always been my
opinion that organizing NOLUG to have a president, vp, treasurer, etc
would allow for a much more viable organization. I've never heard any
discussion since I have been on the list about that, but my gut tells me
it would meet some resistance. I am not saying this is the solution to
the dilema, but it sure make it easier to deal with many of the issues
that are constantly raised.

>2). Several people made the statement that UNO is kind of far or
>out-of-the-way, and if the meetings were closer to Metairie, they'd feel more
>like coming. Also the idea of holding a second meeting during the week was
>suggested, and everyone seemed to be in favor of that. Delgado was suggested
>as an acceptable place to hold an alternate meeting (is this a good idea,
>will they go for it? would UNO feel slighted if we held meetings at another
>campus? Scott, what's your opinion of this? etc.?) and I offered to make
>suitable inquiries.

Although changing venue would suit the needs of some people who
currently attend or atleast keep active on the list, I do not think it
would serve to attract new members or help NOLUG grow. Also, Delgado is
just as far away from most in Metairie as UNO is. What about the Jeff
Center or the JP Regional Library?

Brett