Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:19:05 -0600

"Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd@yahoo.com> writes:

> Does the group have a mission statement or some other charter-like
> document, or is its direction dictated by which direction the linux
> winds happen to be blowing? If not, I think it would help provide
> some focus on exactly what the group is intended to accomplish
> regularly.

Nope. When we started it we just wanted to support Linux in the
community. As well as other free unix-like OS's. We never intend
to "accomplish" anything as such more than that. We were successful
until several active members (active=run meetings) moved out of the
area.

We have traditionally been self-organizing in that regard. meetings
throughout the first year were very high in attendance and list
participation was so active that I got complaints about the volume.

> How big is BRLUG? Also, how are they structured? It has always been
> my opinion that organizing NOLUG to have a president, vp, treasurer,
> etc would allow for a much more viable organization. I've never heard
> any discussion since I have been on the list about that, but my gut
> tells me it would meet some resistance. I am not saying this is the
> solution to the dilema, but it sure make it easier to deal with many
> of the issues that are constantly raised.

BRLUG has about 5 really active leading members. I'd guess they
get about 20 people at the meetings. They have no organization other
than Dusting Puryear who hosts the list and website. I was in that
semi-authoritative position for a bit but I'vee abdicated. I just
don't have the time to dedicate. And I WANT new blood to get
things moving again.

I don't agree, personally, that nolug needs or would benefit
from a structure like that. But I sure wouldn't stand in the
way if you actually accomplished it. What nolug NEEDS is people
to volunteer and do meetings every month in a formal way. (and it
needs a website, I'll do what I can to facilitate that. We probably
need a voting booth/opinion poll applet as well ;) )

> Although changing venue would suit the needs of some people who
> currently attend or atleast keep active on the list, I do not think it
> would serve to attract new members or help NOLUG grow. Also, Delgado
> is just as far away from most in Metairie as UNO is. What about the
> Jeff Center or the JP Regional Library?

The JP library is a nice place. Again, can they support it
and what facilities do they have.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."