Re: [Nolug] ideas to help nolug grow

From: Scott Harney <scotth_at_scottharney.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:40:04 -0600

"Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd@yahoo.com> writes:

> I guess I deserve that for speaking up. Like I've said, I have only
> been to 1 meeting, and my experience centers around FreeBSD. I
> wouldn't mind putting together a presentation/basic tutorial on
> something. I would even help work behind the scenes to organize a
> meeting or effort, but I am not sure I am particularly ready to "run"
> a meeting.

It doesn't take much. You just need to present a topic and
be interesting ;). YOu've been pretty interesting on the list
so you have a LOT to offer. don't be shy. it's kind of fun. and it's
good for you.

> I commit to showing up to the next meeting, and I know a few folks who
> may want to attend. I will do my best to get them there, and I will
> do what I can to HELP make the meeting beneficial to all that attend.

Good! that's what NOLUG needs more than anything else. people willing
to try!

> Just let me know what you would like me to do, however I would like to
> respectfully decline the "nomination". BTW, please don't take offense
> to what I am saying. I am not criticizing anyone, their efforts, etc.
> There was a call for ideas, and I gave mine - so have several others;
> and I think it should be looked at as a good thing that there are some
> "new" people who have given their $0.02. I am sure that eventually
> with all the ideas and different perspectives represented here we will
> hit on something that works for the group.

quite the opposite. it's great to hear people get excited. I jsut
want you all to take it to the next level. No one needs to knight
you or bless you or kiss any rings. This is Linux (and bsd). Linus
just made his OS and stuck it out there. that's what we do as well --
just on a vastly smaller scale.

You've been very compelling on the list, Brett, and have a ton of
good ideas that may be worth trying. Hopefully a few of the other
enthusiastic participants in this discussion will help run some
meetings and do presentations as well.

--
Scott Harney<scotth@scottharney.com>
"...and one script to rule them all."