Re: [Nolug] thoughts on using postnuke

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: 27 Feb 2003 20:15:03 -0600

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 17:43, Scott Harney wrote:
> "Brett D. Estrade" <estrabd@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > I am thinking about using postnuke for a couple of sites I maintain.
> > I know it is a fork of phpnuke, and I was wondering how you arrived at
> > the decision to use it and what your thoughts are on it. It looks
> > good to me, and I am definately leaning towards using myself.
>
> I have used a lot of php/mysql/perl/apache in the past. postnuke is
> php/mysql based so that is comfortable. It seems very mature and has
> a very active development community. They are working hard on
> security.
>
> phpnuke development stalled for quite a while and had some history
> with security problems -- hence the fork. Zope is another option. I
> have also used (and very much enjoyed) mod_perl use HTML::Mason.
> www.masonhq.com Mason would have required more devel time on my part
> and Zope is it's own unique world. It was really easy to deploy
> postnuke.
>
> by the way, it's hosted on a FreeBSD box. I used the ports build of
> postnuke for initial deployment. I grabbed several additional modules
> and blocks from postnuke.com. I'm pretty happy with it so far. It
> didn't take me too terribly long to do what I have so far. I'm
> confident I could write or modify my own postnuke modules(php4) if the
> need arises.

I think a meeting topic has just been created! "Design and Layout
of nolug.org Using Postnuke". Of course, topics on MySql & php
may have to proceed it...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| The difference between Rock&Roll and Country Music?       |
| Old Rockers still on tour are pathetic, but old Country   |
| signers are still great.                                  |