Re: [Nolug] nolug web site

From: Clint M. Sand <schwack_at_neotrance.dyndns.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:56:45 -0600

I think rather than trying to organize meetings like this, everyone's
time is a lot better spent working on promoting the list, and making the
monthly meetings more of an event.

Here me out, but I've never seen flyers around town, in any geek spots,
coffee shops, computer stores etc.. that have promoted the fact that
there is a lug here. There is, in fact, even a "hackers hour" at a bar in
the french quarter where they have free 802.11b, sony playstation, and
cheap drinks every day from 5pm till 10pm for "computer geeks". (Its
called Mythique)

This is also the place where the local 2600 meetings are held. Many of
these people use linux as we all know. Either they don't know about the
lug, or, they have the same opinion that drove me from the list for a
while now ( I recently resubcribed when i noticed someone actually did
something with nolug.org). That opinion is that the list is more of an
informal group of friends who also happen to use linux, than any sort
of professional group with meetings of any in-depth content. Not to mention
the fact that there's still no mention of what the meeting speakers
will be talking about on the site, hence the marketing of the list to
potential contributers is extremely lacking.

Sorry for the long email on this. But to me, i'd rather have one monthly
gathering thats bigger and better, than several dissorganized informal
ones. I have friends in other cities who tell me about their lug events,
and its amazing, they get guest speakers from out of state, they hold
installfests, and market themselves to the IT workers in their town. I
would even be willing to pay due's to list for this sort of thing.

I hope no one thinks i'm being too critical, i'm really not. I know as a
community, its all up to us so, i'm somewhat hypocritical for
criticiging things, yet not stepping up to the plate and helping myself.

I have a full time consulting job, and i'm in 3 bands that tour and
release cd's, as well as a family, so i know how busy we can all get.
But if i knew there was more of an interest in making the list a more
professional endevor, I might be more willing to devote some time to it.

*shrug* Just an opinion. :-D

Clint