RE: [Nolug] governor's race

From: Chris Reames <chris_at_drugfreemro.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 15:18:01 -0500

First, let me say this is a good issue for debate.
Having worked for a 'B movie' community college, I know budgets are tight.
I've seen departments spend current and next years budget buying a few
computers.
I've also seen how different brands of PC with different OSs have caused
major malfunctions in custom 3rd party programs.
Kind of off the subject, but I installed 17 different revisions of an
Attachmate product due to Hardware/OS limitations.

> Every major computer manufacturer offers hardware today pre-loaded
> with open source (free) software which does not require an annual
> license to own and operate.
What is this guy talking about? Games and Encyclopedias? Most State
organizations buy site licenses for the new OS for upgrade purposes.
Depending on how this is referenced in the Budget or Purchasing itemization,
it may look like an annual expense.

I do agree with a web type program distribution, but not web based. I
purchased a Java based cataloging program that magically worked on PCs and
Macs. Go figure. It isn't that nowbody wants to share, its that they don't
know alternatives exist when making the purchase. Also, unless you can get
enthusiastic people, you will always have 'low end of the food chain'
training costs.

What State agencies should do is group together and make a major purchase of
equipment every year.
Then the state can have standardized software and equipment with an approved
list of alternative software.
Centralize a State Technology Department.
Web page for Centralized State technical support for authorized PC repair
companies.
Web page for Centralized Documentation of Network configurations and
Procedures.
Web page for 'Net Day' type registration for Network wireing/Upgrade wireing
for Schools.
Computerize School Libraries with barcodes and link them with local
libraries (rotate and update literature).

Doing this would be a massive undertaking, but if done properly, better
equipment can be purchased.
I suggested this idea when computers were purchased at the college (many
years ago), and with combined budgets, 300 extra computers were able to be
purchased just by volume discounts. The language lab that had no hope of
ever getting a computer was able to scrape up enough to get two that year.
The speach theropy department that barely had a closet got a computer.
Thats what I'm talking about. Major improvements made through co-operation.
(Then again, some of the heavyweight departments wanted reembursements from
the little guys, due to their big budget buying power. Rediculous.)

Well, thats what I think...
Chew on it for a little while before spitting it out ;)

Thanks for your time.
Chris