Re: [Nolug] Distro suggestions

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 10:02:44 -0600

"Pietu" <pietu@weblizards.net> writes:

> POLITICS SUXX!!!
>
> I prefer computers.

If you deal with other people, you have to deal with politics. There
is no choice.

All of life is politics.

As I said before, half the fun of Free Software is the politics that
goes with it. I love the meaningless little battles of Python
v. Perl, Linux v. *BSD, rms v. Theo de Raadt[1].

So, you love computers. Do you happen to use gcc? Do you know why
gcc is evil?

Read any of Brett Glass's diatribes on the GPL, how his livelihood was
destroyed by gcc, or how rms and the FSF are nothing but power-mongers.

This is all politics. Politics is everywhere.

I close with this quote from Brett Glass[2] about how Linux is helping
Microsoft:

    [GPL software destroys markets.] Once the market is destroyed,
    it's gone.... Even if there is BSD-licensed code to build on, you
    still will have a hard time selling product. BeOS is a good
    example. Even though FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD are there to
    draw on, Linux is hurting Be's prospects for
    survival. Interestingly, it is aiding and abetting Microsoft in
    this. Adherents of the GPL should take note: the GPL hurts small
    software vendors -- ones which might one day compete with
    Microsoft -- far more than it hurts Microsoft. Microsoft has
    enough money to reimplement everything from scratch if it wants
    to; it's the little guys who need to reuse publicly available
    source code to survive.

Ain't politics great?

Mark.

Footnotes:
[1] http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/tech/0002/msg00172.html

[2] http://static.userland.com/userLandDiscussArchive/msg020196.html

--
Peace is only better than war if peace isn't hell, too.
    -- Walker Percy, "The Second Coming"