RE: RE: [Nolug] "Can't activate eth0"

From: Chris Reames <chris_at_drugfreemro.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:12:41 -0600

    After taking someone else's suggestion that I reinstall the driver, I
took out the card, rebooted, put it back in and rebooted again. It was
activated, but still no DSL. I decided the cheapest, quickest thing to do
was to go to BB and get another $15 card. Did that, had to remove and reboot
to get it to work, but it says activated and still no DSL. I had forgotten
about the indicator lights on the back of the NIC; one stays on all the time
and the other doesn't blink when I try to get DSL. Any more suggestions?

Lets check the phone line.
Get a single line phone and a screwdriver.
Go out to the telephone service box and unscrew the cover.
A newer service box will have a multi line phone jack with wires going into
the house.
This is a swivel arm that connects to a main phone jack. Usually there is
room for 4 seperate lines.

Locate the one for DSL (if you do voice over data, 1 number, there should
only be one arm)
Gently unplug the clip and swing the arm out.
Plug in your single line phone to the main jack.
Listen for dial tone and check for static.

If Dial Tone is strong and no static, try making a quick call.
Reception should be very clear.

Next, if you have a long enough phone line try plugging the modem directly
into the main jack.
If you can connect, there is a problem between the swivel arm and your wall
jack. Most likely the swivel arm has moisture in it, or the wires have been
pulled.

Oh, another thing I just thought of, your modem may be bad.
I switched to Eatel DSL for my business and Bell South fried my modem during
a maintenance period.
I got lights all over the place, but I could never connect.
I have a Alcatel Speed Touch Home DSL modem that I tested with and I was
able to connect.
Give me a call if you want to check the modem, I'll bring it home with me.

Chris (504) 427-5680