Re: [Nolug] Cool wired house in Old Metairie

From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:16:50 -0500

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 11:26 -0500, Alex McKenzie wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 10:06 -0500, Alex McKenzie wrote:
> >>Didn't have a swingset, had a computer instead. And a yard...A
> >

> > We've succeeded in keeping PC, TV, phone out, but then, they're
> > not in 1st grade yet....
> >

> Good for you, I'm convinced that the TV+PC are the leading cause of ADD
> in kids. I think computers should be a part of education, but not early
> education. IANAD.

You and I are in the minority, then. Most geek-parents think it's
*great* to have kids mousing around at 2yo, and most (all?) "muggle-
parents" (especially those sending kids to private/parochial schools)
brainlessly think their kids will be doomed to burger flipping if
their nose-miners aren't mousing around in pre-K.

> I didn't get a computer until I was 10. Of course, this was the era of
> ViC-20 and Atari.

And I never used one until my senior year in HS. Gods like DR,
KT, BK, RMS, Eric Allman, etc, etc, ad nauseum didn't have PCs
when they were young, either.

> I also lived right next to a high school, so all
> their tennis courts, etc, were basically at my disposal...A

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B
"I was provided with additional input that was radically
different from the truth. I assisted in furthering that version."
Colonel Oliver North