Re: [Nolug] Cool wired house in Old Metairie

From: Mark A. Hershberger <mah_at_everybody.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 14:29:48 -0400

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 11:26 -0500, Alex McKenzie wrote:
>> Good for you, I'm convinced that the TV+PC are the leading cause of ADD
>> in kids. I think computers should be a part of education, but not early
>> education. IANAD.
>
> You and I are in the minority, then. Most geek-parents think it's
> *great* to have kids mousing around at 2yo,

2 is really waaaay to young. My 5-year-old asks to go to places like
HotWheels.com or BobTheBuilder.com and such sites. But I rarely let
him.

The almost-4-year-old and 7-year-old don't really ask for it
(although, I've seen the 7-year-old shove here brother out of the way
once the site is up.)

When it comes to TV, my wife and I try to keep it to a minimum... No
more than 2 hours a day, though I wish she would keep it to 1 hour a
day or less.

I prefer that they spend time riding their bikes, playing in the back
yard or doing any number of other activities that involve movement.
Oh, and Monopoly is good, too (though, the almost-4-year-old doesn't
really have the attention span to make it around the board more than
once).

Since we've home-schooled till this coming school-year, they've not
had exposure to computers in school and what not. Now that we moved
to a small town in Pennsylvania with a well-funded public elementary
school, we'll be sending them there (my wife needs the break).

Problem is, the school boasts of computers in every classroom that
the kids can use. I'm not so sure I like this.

> And I never used one until my senior year in HS. Gods like DR,
> KT, BK, RMS, Eric Allman, etc, etc, ad nauseum didn't have PCs
> when they were young, either.

I imagine that those days are long gone. Windows PCs have taken over
the world of education, for the most part it seems.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.